April Update

This month I have been busy! In particular, I have spent a lot of time planning and preparing makes.

I think the reason behind my motivation this month is a combination of my new machine and a change in my sewing process.

I have started keeping track of my patterns, fabric, haberdashery and plans in Trello after hearing the idea in episode 3 of the Love to Sew podcast. When I heard this idea I thought what a great way to stay organised!

I still have a lot of stuff to add, and I need to add more detail, but it has really motivated me to use my stash instead of buying more fabric.

I have also finally stuck together the Closet Case Carolyn pyjama pattern and made myself a pair of pyjama pants. I made them out of a pink unicorn print flannelette fabric from Spotlight that I bought for the bargain price of $4 a metre!

I was excited to use the decorative stitches on my new machine so I hemmed them with a decorative stitch.

I am really happy with how these turned out. The only changes I would make would be to add ties so I can adjust the waist, and lengthen the legs because I shortened the pattern, but I think I would prefer them a little longer.

This month I was also keen to be involved in SOI’s Selfless Sewing Month. Whilst I didn’t follow the challenges set by the Sew Over It team, I decided to take the opportunity to finally make the t-shirts I promised my sister a few months ago!

I also decided this month that I would like to make more workwear items because whilst I have quite a few handmade items in my wardrobe, I haven’t really made many items that are suitable for work. I started with a leopard print Ogden Cami.

I was slow to adopt this pattern because I have never been a big fan of strappy tops, however it is now one of my favourites! I have made a few casual versions, however I think it is a really great pattern for work because they are so quick to whip up and can be made out of remnants!

I have also been busy making pillow cases this month! I don’t often make homeware items, however I found a really nice remnant in Spotlight that I thought would be perfect for a pillow case!

I have currently made 1 square pillow, and 1 tubular pillow which I need to stuff. I also have another square pillow case in progress.


I currently have several projects cut out and stored in ziplock bags ready be sewn together, so I am hoping to stay motivated in May!

I’d love to hear how you organise and plan your sewing, and how you keep yourself motivated, so let me know in the comments!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a website or blog at WordPress.com

Up ↑

Create your website at WordPress.com
Get started
%d bloggers like this: